Forums General Forums (Open to All) Authors Contemporary Authors in India

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Sherash Arya 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Team_IBC
    Admin

Book lovers, who are the authors you like reading in the present times? Please feel free to discuss them openly and blatantly! Whom you like; whom you praise; whom you dislike and please add why to all of those… let’s get it rolling guys!

On mission #ReadBetter

Nowadays writing has become the passion for everyone. If we talk about contemporary Indian writers then the first name comes into our mind is undoubtedly Chetan Bhagat. He has changed the narrative and shifted the style of writing from elitism to common people. After that ost of the, witters are following his footsteps.

Not only Chetan Bhagat is available out there to write something. There are many other contemporary writers too. Like Amitav Ghosh and Kiran Desai, they are the real novelist. I can understand what you are saying Chetan changed the narrative and mixed it with spice and served with roasted coffee of Brazi. But these things do not make a good novel. Novels of Amitav gosh are truly genuine. I have gone through the hungry tide that raised a genuine question. Novels should be written with a purpose if you ware not serving any purpose then it has no worth.

though, It’s a cruel fact that most of the contemporary authors are not worthy enough to be called authors. Very few authors are out there to be called as an author. Their style of writings and the development of story seems like an essay by a 10th class student. I just don’t want to take some names but you can easily understand whom I am referring to. Authors Amitav Ghosh, Arundhati Roy, and Ruskin bond these are the genuine authors.

though, It’s a cruel fact that most of the contemporary authors are not worthy enough to be called authors. Very few authors are out there to be called as an author. Their style of writings and the development of story seems like an essay by a 10th class student. I just don’t want to take some names but you can easily understand whom I am referring to. Authors Amitav Ghosh, Arundhati Roy, and Ruskin bond these are the genuine authors.

I can understand what are you saying. But the names you are counting here still need to be qualified further to be called as a genuine author. Expect Ruskin Bond two authors can be called as a professional propagandist. Just look at their writings you will get a better idea of their motive behind writing books.

The contemporary Indian authors are writing about different themes. Usually, they start with the love theme and ends up with the erotic romance. you can look at that the pattern of last decade of their writings you can get a bunch of ideas of their writings. The fast track themes of their novels and a clueless hero who secretly turns into evil and the story are over. this is the scenario of contemporary Indian novels.

The contemporary Indian authors are writing about different themes. Usually, they start with the love theme and ends up with the erotic romance. you can look at that the pattern of last decade of their writings you can get a bunch of ideas of their writings. The fast track themes of their novels and a clueless hero who secretly turns into evil and the story are over. this is the scenario of contemporary Indian novels.

While complaining about authors you must take a note of readers as well. it’s the taste and preferences of readers that lead the authors to write a fiction like this. But by any means, you can not discard and raise a question mark on their approach of writings. Every author writes according to the demand of readers. You can abstract any example from any age either it’s Victorian age or Elizabethan age.

I love to read new authors who offer something new to us. Like all of the new novels are written about love and romance. And the way they express the feeling of freedom that provides a whole insight of changing mentality of Indian society.

I love to read new authors who offer something new to us. Like all of the new novels are written about love and romance. And the way they express the feeling of freedom that provides a whole insight of changing mentality of Indian society.

I agree, Roushan. However, all the novels written about love are not worthy to be read! For example, recent one by Chetan Bhagat One Indian Girl and many others which followed the tail – the best wife, the best girlfriend, my mute girlfriend etc are nothing but absurd! Contemporary authors need to get out of the status quo and represent the reality as well.

Very well said they should come out from the hangover of erotic love themes. And they must have to pick themes of great importance rather than a textual pleasure for one hour. Recent novels are just like an advertisement that is presented to the readers to taste it and forget. There are nothing to be remember in their novels. The basic fault what I can assign is the so much enthusiasm about writing without knowing anything about it.

Believe it or not contemporary authors has changed the discourse of modern day writings. They broke the elitism and nepotism in writings and established a new platform to all. There is no boundaries to apply specific rules and there are no certain hurdles for qualification to be a writer.

Reading novels or other literary works, takes time. But the time is increasing its price daily. Time is invested and the investor seeks profit. So, a regular reader is always having a purpose behind his or her reading. Romance is a common subject for young people; they read it, feel it and compare it with their personal lives and the world around. Here is the fuss, a writer always targets his audience carefully and takes this futile subject only because most of the readers like it. But as a sensible individual a, writer should keep his works away from such fringing sentiments that are always a weakness and focus on issues far important than these things. In this materialistic world, hatred is everywhere and it can be neutralised in various ways. Literature can also help if the writings are productive, meaningful and impressive. Such authors do exist in India – for example, Amitav Ghosh, Anita Krishan, and some others.

Reading novels or other literary works, takes time. But the time is increasing its price daily. Time is invested and the investor seeks profit. So, a regular reader is always having a purpose behind his or her reading. Romance is a common subject for young people; they read it, feel it and compare it with their personal lives and the world around. Here is the fuss, a writer always targets his audience carefully and takes this futile subject only because most of the readers like it. But as a sensible individual a, writer should keep his works away from such fringing sentiments that are always a weakness and focus on issues far important than these things. In this materialistic world, hatred is everywhere and it can be neutralised in various ways. Literature can also help if the writings are productive, meaningful and impressive. Such authors do exist in India – for example, Amitav Ghosh, Anita Krishan, and some others.

Really a nice one by you Rahul. Interset of young readers has been shifted towards fast-track life. They want everything in hurry. But we as students of literature know the worth of time and the reading pleasure of Hardy and Dickens. Whenever we start to seek profit from the beauty of literature only the dullness we will get. And the output is in front of our eyes coined as modern novels. Even Novels of Amitav Ghosh is mixed with certain propaganda. No one is untouched by the modern evil.

I have read all the posts in this thread and this is surely going in the right direction! Most of the comments are by youths and that is really wonderful! I am sure we will weed out the rogues and find the interesting and meaningful contemporary authors to be read in India!

Read - cause that's what makes you a human!

When we talk about contemporary authors I think we try to judge their situation by our eyes. I was listening to an interview with famous Indian author Chetan Bhagat. He was saying that I don’t want that my book will reach only a few hands that’s why I mixed some fancy romance in the novel.
    So, this is the response of reader that authors are getting. Who cares about hardy, Austen and Dickens. They all are past and we have to realize that this age demands this kind of novel. Whether we accept it or not but this is the reality of contemporary fiction.

While I largely agree with what Aman is saying, I will say that there are still the readers who care for the writing which is useful and meaningful as well as entertaining. Literature does have to entertain the readers and that’s true. There are the contemporary authors who are making it happen. They are managing the class as well as giving the readers what they demand.

Hey readers, how many of you have read the poems by Vihang Naik? What kind of a poet is he according to those who have read him? I just read his collection Making a Poem and it seems very nicely written. The gloom of modernity can easily be seen.

Though I haven’t read much of him, I certainly know that Vihang Naik is one of the modern English poets from India who is producing some quality literary stuff. His poems have been appreciated by many critics. You can read a review of his latest collection by Alok Mishra here: Making a Poem. The collection is certainly nice.

yea, the poems of Vihang Naik are certainly good ones. The emotions and practical essence if life is broadly discussed in his poems.

Though, there is a fact remains that contemporary authors have a different style of writing compare to old ones.
    There are many contemporary writers in India who are doing so well. Just read a book by Ananda karunesh that book was really impressive.

I don’t know why this clash is happening. They belong to two different ages, perspective, society and different environmental perspective as well.
    Comparing these two ages will lead us nowhere. At that time when a Victorian author uses to write cultural setting was something different and now when a modern author writes the situation is different.

I can agree with your thoughts but I am unable to find any logic to do so.
      We compare to acknowledge the credibility of work. And it’s a human nature to compare things to get the best result.
      Why we compare the poems of Shakespeare with poems of Keats and Wordsworth.
      So, I can find strength in your argument to justify your talk.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.