Forums Agile Readers Club (Delhi) Modern fiction vs Classics

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Akash Ram 1 day, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Nidhi_Sharma

Have you read some of the classic fictions? May be by Dickens, Austen, Bronte Sisters or someone else. What did you find there?
    And you must have read the contemporary ones. Do you think both the kinds of fictions are different or the same? Which one of the both did you like- classics or the moderns?

Though, It’s a tough one to answer. We love classics but beyond all doubts, modern novels are the trendsetter. When we read Crashaw, Herbert, Donne it seems like we are travelling through the bouncers of philosophical ideas. The best art part in the modern novels is they are straightforward and written in simple language easy to understand. But, if talk this to a deeper level then classics has an edge over modern novels.

Though, It’s a tough one to answer. We love classics but beyond all doubts, modern novels are the trendsetter. When we read Crashaw, Herbert, Donne it seems like we are travelling through the bouncers of philosophical ideas. The best art part in the modern novels is they are straightforward and written in simple language easy to understand. But, if talk this to a deeper level then classics has an edge over modern novels.

Though, I agree with your point of view that classic novels are elegant and written in such a decent style that everyone can be lured by the idea they used to present. But just take a look at the modern novels they are presenting something greater which classical novelist fails to do that. In order to maintain the balance between tradition and style, they failed to present something out of the box. In modern novels, you will find the equal right for gays transgenders and female too. And what I find most interesting in the modern novels that they are taking more scientific approach whereas classical are stuck o the tradition and they were afraid to break the cycle.

It’s going very smoothly people are out there considering both facts as true and providing their depth analysis of their readings. I don’t have enough experience in reading classical novels so I can’t let you know about their outcomes. But I have gone through many modern novels especially of Amita Ghosh, William Golding, and Atwood. Look at the core of their idea they are representing something different than the Victorian novelist use t do. Like lord of the flies and the hungry tide these ni=vels present real-life pictures. Though Lord of the files is a dystopian novel but it still claims to define something in a proper way that can be beneficial for the ou=ome of a better society. You can go for the Mockingbird or 1984 these novels presented life events in the pretty fashionable way like traditional inner is mix with Italian wine. So, I admire modern novels.

Really, I am feeling like a bit of handicap in dealing with this situation. Whether to pick modern novels or classical. If you consider classical novels as trendsetter then we must have to consider that modern novel are trend breakers. Classical novels were restricted to certain limitations of themes. Take a look of Austen’s novels or Bronte’s you can easily analyse the constancy of theme. But in modern novels of Marget Mitchell, William Golding, Tolkien’s you will find vivid kind of themes. I will pick modern novels has an edge over classical novels because of the certain strong work was done by their writings.

It is nice to hear from you that you are admiring modern novels. Indeed, modern fiction has some internal qualities due to versatile themes. But If you take a deep look into the classical novels they were also written on a variety of themes. At that time there was the scarcity of modernization that’s why we usually get those kinds of plots. But in the Dickens’s novels, one can find the elements of modernization. As far as it was trendsetting classical novels are greater than modern ones. If we try to compare the novels of Willaim Thackrey to the novels of Paulo Coehlo it’s highly unfair. They are of different class and their writings are different too. Classical novelist expresses the emotions in pretty realistic words and readers get the equal response what they are willing to get after reading a novel. Just pick a modern fiction narrative are not strong to captivate the readers’ joy.

Look, this debate is going towards the dialogues of basic differences between themes and plots. If we try to figure out a bigger picture from this debate we have to frame something different. Just try to find the real-life relevance o these works. Take a work of Jane Austen, like Pride and Prejudice; still, Darcy appeal is available in this world. The immortality of Darcy and his words are so close to the hearts of readers. And another novel by a modern fiction writer Arunthathi Roy you can find the novel with a mix propaganda and a slice touch of a punctured narrative. This is what I find the major difference between the modern and classical writers.

Yes, it’s true that modern novels and classical ones are just opposite of each other. If you compare contemporary novels with the classics of Austen and Hardy you will end up with a exploded head. What a scarp I am reading. Ideas in modern novels are not so strong enough to hold the acclaims of critics. It may be stastify the taste and fancy of readers but it does not make an everlasting impact on the readers.

Really it’s an interesting one. I have learned a lot from this forum. I have read some of the novels by both authors. But really I don’t have the knowledge to differentiate between these two aspects of literature.

Both have equal importance in the field of literature it totally depends on our perception of how we want to be perceived. someone like modern fiction and some like classical due to their taste and preferences. Someone who has not witnessed something classic in his entire life then surely he will not like classical novels. And the exact opposite of a student of English literature or a veteran will surely love classical novels and they will hate the modern too.

It’s like a debate of dualisms of body and mind. Where one is holding the practical ground and other uses to create fancies. We can not ignore any of the two great aspects of english literature. Where one is famous for his delicacy and other for his realism.

Yes, it’s true that modern novels and classical ones are just opposite of each other. If you compare contemporary novels with the classics of Austen and Hardy you will end up with a exploded head. What a scarp I am reading. Ideas in modern novels are not so strong enough to hold the acclaims of critics. It may be stastify the taste and fancy of readers but it does not make an everlasting impact on the readers.

It is a bit harsh to say like this that modern novels are nothing but craps. The novel of Amitav Ghosh is truly based on realism. I have read his novel the hungry tied in which he tries to present a narrative that can make an impact on the settings if that area. I also respect classical novelists and admire them too. But in generalization, we cannot say like this that modern m=novels are nothing to compare with them. Especially novels after the 80s are becoming more factual than the fancy tell.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.